Park Street Christian Church
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.- John 3:16 (KJV)
  

 

Home

Beliefs

Schedule

Calendar

Special Events

Staff

History

Bulletin

Grandmas for Next Generation

Contact Us


Park Street Christian Church
148 South Park Street
Richland Center WI 53581
608-647-3702

The History of Helping People to Know Jesus and Grow in Him ...

Park Street Christian Church began as part of the Restoration Movement. The first Church of Christ in Richland County was organized in 1855 at the location of the present Pine River Cemetery by two groups of Christians who had been meeting at the Science Hill and Pine River Schools. These Christians had moved to Wisconsin mainly from Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana. The Church was incorporated on January 22, 1882 with a membership roster of 27. These Christians met monthly in the building of the local Baptist Church and then later at the Presbyterian Church.

The building, which currently holds the sanctuary of Park Street Christian Church, was built in 1885, when the Church had a membership of 75. The building was dedicated on March 1, 1885 and later that year hosted the Wisconsin Sate Convention.

Throughout the past century, many improvements have been made to the property and building that houses Park Street Christian Church. In 1899, the building was raised and turned one quarter; additional space was added in the form of a basement and overflow area. This space was immediately used by the growing Sunday School program. In 1907 the entire building was given a brick veneer, and some years later, in the mid 1940’s, the Church steeple was removed

In 1966, the church purchased the house next to the church on Park Street from the Carl Barnes Estate and it has been used as the Church parsonage ever since. In 1970, an educational unit was built onto the North side of the Church. In 1986, another addition was built (on the West side), which houses additional Sunday School rooms, a resource room, and the fellowship hall. From the fall of 1993 to the Spring of 1995, the sanctuary was completely refurbished and a new baptistery was installed.

Home | Beliefs | Schedule | Calendar | Special Events | Staff | History | Grandmas for Next Generation | Contact Us